Modern Poetry

Hello Folks ,

       I am composing this blog on the ground of a task assigned to me by my teacher to know more about the task CLICK HERE .

Poet
Poem
What Makes This Poem A Modern Poem ? ( Symbols , Imagery and Metaphors)
1 . T. E. Hulme
The Embankment ( 7 Lines )
The fantasia of a fallen gentleman on a cold, bitter night.)
Once, in finesse of fiddles found I ecstasy,
In the flash of gold heels on the hard pavement.
Now see I
That warmth’s the very stuff of poesy.
Oh, God, make small
The old star-eaten blanket of the sky,
That I may fold it round me and in comfort lie.
Fallen gentleman symbol of something very terrible ,finesse of fiddles . 
2. Joseph Campell
Darkness ( 4 Lines )
Darkness.
I stop to watch a star shine in the boghole –
A star no longer, but a silver ribbon of light.
I look at it, and pass on.
Boghole symbol of escaping   ,  silver ribbon symbol of a ray of hope.
3.Edward Storer
Image (3 Lines )
Forsaken lovers,
Burning to a chaste white moon,
Upon strange pyres of loneliness and drought.


Pyre, drought archetypes of sadness , leaving loved ones .
4.Ezra Pound
 In A Station Of The Metro ( 2 Lines )

The Apparition of these faces in the crowd ;
Petals on a wet black bought.
Petals metaphor for humans or people , black bought symbol of loneliness.
5.H.D. Hilda Doolittle
The Pool ( 5 Lines )
Are you alive?
I touch you.
You quiver like a sea-fish.
I cover you with my net.
What are you—banded one?

Sea- fish metaphor used to describe those who are just living but already are half -dead inside , in a nutshell maybe it is a symbol of suffering . 
6. Richard Aldington
Insouciance (5 Lines )

 IN and out of the dreary trenches,            
Trudging cheerily under the stars,    
    I make for myself little poems  
    Delicate as a flock of doves.              

    They fly away like white-winged doves.
Dreary trenches metaphor for cheerlessness or darkness . 
7. T. S. Eliot
Morning At The Window ( 9 Lines )

They are rattling breakfast plats in basement kitchens ,
And along the trampled edges of the street
I am aware of the damp souls of housemaids
Sprouting despondently at area gates .
 The brown waves of fog toss up to me
Twisted faces from the bottom of the street ,
And tear from a passer- by with muddy skirts
An aimless smile that hovers in the air
And vanishes along the level of the roots.
Trampled edges ,damp souls symbol for unhappy or tired person twisted faces
8.William Carlos Williams
The Red Wheelbarrow ( 8 Lines)

So much depends upon

A red wheel barrow

Glazed with rain water

Beside the white chickens

White chicken, red wheel and barrow symbol of something horrible .
9. Wallace Stevens
 Anecdote of The Jar ( 12 Lines )

I placed a jar in Tennessee,  
And round it was, upon a hill.  
It made the slovenly wilderness  
Surround that hill.

The wilderness rose up to it,
And sprawled around, no longer wild.  
The jar was round upon the ground  
And tall and of a port in air.

It took dominion everywhere.  
The jar was gray and bare.
It did not give of bird or bush,  
Like nothing else in Tennessee.
Jar, slovenly wilderness, bare metaphor for memory . 
10. E.E. Cummings
I ( 9 Lines )
l(a

le
af
fa
ll

s)
one
l

iness
Fallen leaf symbol of isolation




THANK YOU.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Piano and Drums

 "The Piano and the Drums" by Gabriel Okara is a captivating poem that juxtaposes the primal rhythms of jungle drums with the comp...