Frame Study of To The Lighthouse Movie

 Hello Folks,

                In this blog I'm going to write about the Frame Study of To The Lighthouse Movie. To The Lighthouse is a modernist novel by Virginia Woolf.





The novel starts with the conversation between James and Mrs. Ramsey.Yes, of course, if it’s fine tomorrow,” said Mrs Ramsay. “But you’ll have to be up with the lark,” she added.while the movie starts with the dining table scene. So we can say that the director took an artistic liberty and made changes in the movie
.

This is the look of rebellion and revolt against his father. In the novel while Mr. Ramsay tells Jams  that it would be not possible to go to light house the next day, the author allow us to go to the stream of the consciousness of James where he thoughts to kill his father.

Had there been an axe handy, a poker, or any weapon that would have gashed a hole in his father’s breast and killed him, there and then, James would have seized it. Such were the extremes of emotion that Mr Ramsay excited in his children’s breasts by his mere presence; standing, as now, lean as a knife, narrow as the blade of one, grinning sarcastically, not only with the pleasure of disillusioning his son and casting ridicule upon his wife, who was ten thousand times better in every way than he was (James thought),


In this fram on can see that someone is looking at James and Mrs. Ramsey from a distance it was the little girl, who was playing. She sees them from the bushes and if we connect it with the Indian society this scene is common, mother taking extra care of the boy child. 


In this fram, one can notice that Mrs. Ramsey is looking at herself in mirror she knows that she didn't took care of herself all this years for the sake of taking care of her family and guests.we feel pity for her. 



Nancy playing piano and Mrs. Ramsey knitting, the normal life of Victorian women, we don't see them doing much rather than dressing beautifully and having good time at beach. Even when she talks about women property rights, coming next time without students or injured bird or maybe without her father, this shows her desire to live freely without her father's interference. 


Conversation between Lily and Mrs. Ramsey. 

I have told you so many times to close doors but open Windows. 


You know what is the worst fear Most awful event that I can ever imagine Michael should die before me Hope I die first This is a lonely little room 


I feel aloneI like it I feel alone 


Is why did not understand each other I don't live alone I have a home father and my painting I'm actually afraid of being alone 


it was so quiet I begin to hear waves. Sound of waves falling back drawing back falling again it frightened me House ways and I said please God have mercy on us I went to the kitchen to talk with somebody 


Is my situation different from yours 


Dear Briscoe of course it is


 Why?


Because you have children I do not You have a man to share your bed and I have not


 But what do you really share you do not cease to be one person didn't become half person do you open like mouth in a kiss I don't believe they do love can't claim so much


 Poor Lily.


 no I am not poor lily, you must not say so . . . why the likes of you always think that likes of me are shivering outside the gate to be in blessed. . . 


Because we are not married Because we do not have a man to pamper and serve 


.


I do not serve here.


Am i not committed to be happy as i am, on my own?


I do not serve here.


This is MY household. I am in control of it. . . ..  only one member Michael, I serve.


 


Oh! Mrs. Ramsay!U dont understand


Suppose he rejected you. . . . suppose he did. . .If he push you out of the front door.and locked it. What then. You would starve.


YOU DONT UNDERSTAND

    We can see a Victorian woman Mrs. Ramsey and a Modernist women Lily here. 












No comments:

Post a Comment

The Piano and Drums

 "The Piano and the Drums" by Gabriel Okara is a captivating poem that juxtaposes the primal rhythms of jungle drums with the comp...